We are going to experiment a bit tonight at six30. It seems as though the distractions and chitchat during our worship and message time have gotten pretty rough, so I am going to dismiss those that don't want to be there just before we start the message. You won't be looked down upon if you go to the gym for a bit, but what we need to talk about is of such importance that we need to keep those distractions to a minimum. Don't get me wrong, we want you here, but we do need to focus up a bit.
It is hard to describe what it is like being up in the front, trying to share a message that is so real and tangible and life altering, and yet having it blown off by those who are in the crowd. Heartbreaking really, I don't know, it is as if we have decided that church is a game that we do once or twice a week that has no real bearing on life. Somehow I think that those Christians 2000 years ago, who were seconds before death because of their faith in Christ, saw things differently. How do we bring the reality of that perspective into a culture as apathetic as this one? I really don't know.
We do need to abandon the freaking candy coating that is too often slapped onto a flannel graph Jesus. We need to stop neutering the Gospel. We need to not be afraid to cling to Jesus Christ as the only source of hope in this dark and dying world. We need to not be afraid of others knowing that we personally do in fact cling to Christ.
What does it mean to pursue Christ? Let's talk about that. Let's be real about that. Pursuing Christ is hard, it really is. But I imagine for just a moment, I imagine what it would be like if the youth I see in this church would abandon the comforts of their cocoons and make a stand. I know their is a need that burns inside them to have value in something. This is it, they have value because Christ has given them value. From that they are now able to pursue Him. To gain nothing but a knowledge of Him and the power of His resurrection.
Anyways, we will see how it goes tonight. I do believe that God is able.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment